Wednesday, March 24, 2010

15th March- Train ride from Kandy to Ella

It's regarded as the more scenic train routes in Sri Lanka- climbing uphill into the hill country and winding through tea plantations. It's slow, mind you, a total of 7 hours and I'm not entirely sure if the bus would've gotten us there faster. But I thought, we could just take it easy for now and just drink in the views. You can only  reserve first class seats on the train but that has to be booked way in advance. So we had no choice but to settle for the second class car which was about RM3 per ticket BUT can only be bought after 8 am on the day of departure. Our train was at 820.
You see me sitting in the picture below because that was the train that left Kandy and we had to change at Peridiniya Junction-some 20 minutes away from Kandy. From then on, it was table top seats in the dining car baby!

Kandy train station

Our train arriving at Peridinya Junction. Get ready to rumble.

My dangling feet, seated on the table top....for the whole 7 hours.


Ella (USA) ehehe

I completely forgot to take a picture in front of the signboard doing my best Ella impersonation, but oh well, I'm sure there will be other opprotunities for whack-faced photos. Pronounced with an elongated 'l', Ella is a tiny hill town with amazing views of Little Adam's Peak. It reminded me of my mom as i recall her telling me to say SubhanAllah when in awe of His creations. It was quite a sight to behold, especially in evening sun and at sunrise as the light just hits the outline of the mountains.

Sunrise. Beyond that, where the sky is light, is where the ocean is.

Probably my most favourite photo taken by Zul

No comments:

Post a Comment